SharePoint has certainly come of age over the past few years. Initially SharePoint focused on primarily sharing information. But the latest SharePoint 2010 goes a step forward and involves collaboration. SharePoint 2010 takes information sharing capabilities from its 2007 predecessor and adds a collaborative element to it.
So what does SharePoint 2010 look like then? Well the core functional areas of SharePoint 2010 are:
- Content Management
Now let’s see what role Radix plays in each of these areas.
Radix, SharePoint Development Company India, uses SharePoint 2010 to develop dynamic and robust websites. We use the set of tools offered by the 2010 framework to develop value adding functionalities for a website. We use SharePoint’s native web CMS functionality so that our customers can easily publish and share information. We can develop team websites, intranets, extranets, and customer websites where people can share information through a common platform.
We can develop SharePoint websites with following features:
- Multiple language support
- Organized and categorized content
- XHTML and WCAG 2.0 AA standards for viewing device compatibility
- Advance search capabilities
- Web analytics integration
- Custom and personalized look and feel
- Browser compatibility
This is what we mean when we say SharePoint now focuses on collaboration as well. Taking cue from popular social networking websites, SharePoint 2010 offers Communities. At Radix, we use Communities to develop ecosystems that allow people to access their colleagues, documentation, and learning at a single place. We provide them with tools to share ideas, find expertise, and locate business information. Your workforce can update calendars, make announcements, and set alerts at enterprise level.
So what more can be done in these community systems that we develop?
- Maintain detailed user profiles
- Host blogs, wikis, and RSS feeds
- Create and manage groups based on projects
- Create separate dashboards for personal work updates
- Set security and privacy controls
- Set policies in centralized manner
The SharePoint Communities allow people to collaborate and work together in an efficient manner.
Content or Document Management
Creating and managing documentation is another aspect that SharePoint 2010 has focused on. The good part is that the 2010 framework combines content management with social media capabilities and powerful search tools to improve enterprise level document creation, access, and storage.
At Radix, we use the content capabilities of 2010 framework to develop robust content and document management systems. We create an infrastructure that lets you categorize your content as business information and business records. Since SharePoint Content uses Office’s familiar interface, your users will find it easy to work with it.
These systems also include other capabilities to:
- Read and update content
- Access business information based on role and authority
- Categorize information for better search and easy retrieval
- Lock down official records to prohibit further changes
- Enforce retention schedules
- Set up compliance policies for official records
We have information driven business worlds. But this does not mean information is easily accessible. In fact our modern day information workers struggle with finding the right kind of information at right time. So SharePoint Search focuses on making information available in faster and efficient manner.
At Radix, we use SharePoint Search to develop applications that offer intranet based search and people based search. We use the Search infrastructure to make refined and relevant information available. The other highlighting features of these applications are:
- Interactive and visual search
- Data and expertise based search
- Windows 7 desktop search tied down to SharePoint
- Result refinement based on user profile, taxonomy, and metadata
- Content preview in result set
- Multiple filters like site, author, etc.
This is what we call business intelligence. Businesses are run by decisions. The quality of your decisions directly influences your success. SharePoint Insights comes laced with tools that help you improve your decision quality.
We use SharePoint Insights to develop applications with features like interactive dashboards and scorecards. Our applications make databases, reports, and information available to the right people at right time. The other benefits of Insights applications are:
- Excel support to collect and analyze data
- Use of Excel Services engine to generate web-based reports
- Collect information from different enterprise systems
- Key performance indicators accessible to relevant people
With SharePoint Insights you can have a true picture of your resources and results. At the same time you can use this information to stay ahead of your competition.
Gone are the days when our business systems used to work in isolation. Interactivity and interoperability is the mantra today. This is where SharePoint 2010 has scored big time. The 2010 framework allows you to create an integrated environment for your different business systems. We use SharePoint Composites to create applications that interact with your other systems. These applications allow you to exchange (push and pull) data with these systems. Your people can then operate from a single point instead of toggling between screens.
With all these capabilities there is one more trait of SharePoint 2010 that makes it real special – customization. SharePoint 2010 offers great scope of customization. We can customize processes, features, and even functions to address specific business needs.
To know more about our Microsoft SharePoint Development and integration services kindly contact us now.